Cured Sardines – Spanish style-0291 (by jmoranmoya)
This recipe was extracted from Chef Daniel Boulud’s book: Cooking New York City.
Sardines will cure over olive oil for 48 hours, over a layer of garlic, parsley, lemon, parsley.
Cured Sardines Recipe:
- Clean sardines and make them in fillets.
- Spread salt over a pan and place sardine, skin side up over the salt. Cover again with salt. Let cure for 10 minutes.
- Clean salt from sardines with cold water. Clean salt from previous pan.
- Fill previous pan with wine vinegar and arrange sardines inside, skin side up Vinegar should cover the sardines. Use parchment paper on the bottom of the pan to help with removal. let cure for 20 minutes.
- Clean vinegar from sardines with cold water. Clean vinegar from previous pan.
- Mix in a bowl: garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, thyme and parsley.
- Place in the bottom of the pan a new parchment paper. Brush it with the mix from step 6 adding salt and paper. Place sardines skin side up. Cover sardines with extra virgin olive oil, I recommend using Jaen ( south of Spain ) region olive oil. Repeat this step if necessary with all the sardines layers you need.
Let cure for 2 days.
Enjoy, Let me know if you like it.